Office 365 General Information
How to I manage a departmental mailbox?
Who is eligible for an Office 365 account?
- Office 365 is available for all faculty, staff, and currently enrolled, for credit, degree seeking students for personal non commercial use. Alumni can have limited access, including the use of email, calendar, and contacts only.
What is an E-mail Alias?
- An e-mail alias is an alternate address pointing to where you want your e-mail delivered. An e-mail alias is not a physical mailbox. It must point to a preferred email address in order to work. Students at the University of Miami are automatically assigned an e-mail alias in the form of email@example.com, where "yourname" takes the form of the first initial followed by a period and then your last name. (Note that a number may be added to your last name if someone has already been assigned an identical e-mail alias.)
What is a Preferred E-Mail Address?
- A preferred email address is the physical location where your email is stored. Any email sent to your e-mail alias is delivered to your preferred email address.
How will having an Office 365 account affect my other personal email accounts (e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc.)?
- Having an Office 365 account helps ensure the delivery of emails sent within the University of Miami. Having an Office 365 account does not affect your other accounts. Email sent to your other accounts will continue to be delivered. As a matter of fact, you may be able to use Outlook to view your Office 365 and your other email accounts at one time! (depending on your provider).
How do I connect to my Office 365 account off campus?
- Your Office 365 mailbox is accessible via the Internet at http://email.miami.edu. The web interface is known as Outlook Web Access, and is a web-based version of Microsoft Outlook including most of the client application's functionality.
What is the mailbox limit for my Office 365 account?
- The mailbox size limit is 50GB. When your mailbox approaches this limit you will receive a warning email stating you can only receive emails until you delete or archive old emails.
What is the message size limit for a single email?
- The current size limit for sending and receiving messages is 25 MB.
Why does the department of Information Technology recommend unlimited data plans for mobile devices?
- If you exceed the alotted data transfer, you can absorb excessive costs from your provider.
What do I do if I am receiving threatening emails via my Office 365 account?
- Please send an email to the UMIT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and any pertinent information regarding the situation.
Is IMAP a supported Office 365 protocol?
What is a phishing email?
- Phishing attacks use both social engineering and technical subterfuge to steal consumers' personal identity data and financial account credentials. Social-engineering schemes use 'spoofed' e-mails to lead consumers to counterfeit websites designed to trick recipients into divulging financial data such as credit card numbers, account usernames, passwords and social security numbers. Hijacking brand names of banks, e-retailers and credit card companies, phishers often convince recipients to respond. Technical subterfuge schemes plant crimeware onto PCs to steal credentials directly, often using Trojan keylogger spyware.
What does it mean to "spoof" an email address?
- Email spoofing may occur in different forms, but all have a similar result: a user receives email that appears to have originated from one source when it actually was sent from another source. Email spoofing is often an attempt to trick the user into making a damaging statement or releasing sensitive information (such as passwords). Examples of spoofed email that could affect the security of your site include:
- Email claiming to be from a system administrator requesting users to change their passwords to a specified string and threatening to suspend their account if they do not do this.
- Email claiming to be from a person in authority requesting users to send them a copy of a password file or other sensitive information.
How does the spam filtering work on Office 365?
- Exchange Intelligent Message Filter (IMF) provides advanced server-side message filtering designed to combat the influx of unsolicited commercial e-mail, also known as spam or junk e-mail. By using e-mail characteristics tracked by a proprietary technology IMF can determine whether each incoming e-mail message is likely to be spam. Email identified as spam is then delivered to the Junk E-mail folder. Please note that legitimate e-mail could be flagged as spam. For this reason, everyone should periodically check their Junk E-mail folder.
What is the Clutter feature?
- Clutter is a feature that separates low-priority mail out of your inbox to make finding more important mail easier. It is turned on by default.
Can I turn Clutter off?
- Yes. Instructions for how to do so are found here.
How does Clutter know what to separate?
- Clutter analyzes the way you treat particular emails, and reacts accordingly. Those that are of a lower priority, it will place in the Clutter folder.
How do I take emails out of Clutter, or put them in?
- Right-click the email, scroll over Move, and choose the option Move to Inbox. If you want to move emails to Clutter, right click the email, scroll over Move, and choose the option Move to Clutter. You can also drag the email to the folder you’d prefer to have it in.
Can I forward my Office 365 items to an outside account (i.e. Gmail, AOL)?
- Yes, to do so, follow the instructions found here.
How long may I keep my Office 365 account after I graduate?
- You will be able to access your Office 365 account forever.
How long may I keep my Office 365 account after leaving the University?
- Student: If you left the University of Miami on amicable terms, you will be able to access your Office 365 account for one year.
- Faculty: Retired faculty will keep their mailbox forever. Terminated faculty will keep their mailbox for one year.
- Staff: Terminated staff mailboxes are disabled immediately.
Office 365 ProPlus
Why is Office 365 ProPlus asking for my login credentials?
- Office 365 ProPlus is a subscription based Office Suite license and as such will occasionally require re-authentication. In some cases, after hardware changes, the Office 365 Suite will require re-activation by re-authenticating.
Why do I receive an error when installing Office 365 ProPlus?